Sweet Potato Pie
1 sheet shortcrust pastry
2 whole, peeled sweet potatoes, diced
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp salt
- Line pie pan with shortcrust pastry and trim to fit. Place in fridge until ready to use.
- Place sweet potatoes in medium saucepan, cover with water, bring to boil and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain sweet potatoes, return to pan, mash well, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- In medium bowl cream together butter and brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add remaining ingredients, including mashed sweet potato, and mix well until smooth.
- Remove pie pan from fridge and pour sweet potato mixture into pie crust. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Set on cooling rack until cool, then refrigerate.
- Serve cold with sweetened whipped cream.